HOSKINS FAMILY UPDATE

David Hoskins, 39 years old, from Annapolis, MD. Fighting a rare cancer of his bile-ducts called Cholangiocarcinoma, since October 5th, 2005.

Friday, August 03, 2007

It's sad but we made our last trip to Va. last weekend. It was a long and very hard ride for Dave but he was determined to make the trip, "to make closure and to play poker for the last time". He was so sick but he lasted 5 hrs. in playing poker and won $260, using only $60 to play with. Barbie had to help him get out of the car, he came in the house with a handful of money, could hardly walk but content!

My friend, Jocelyn, flew in from CA last Friday to spend the weekend with us and did the driving which was a great relief on my part. We had to stop a few times so that Dave could throw up which has been going on constantly.

He is now on morphine drip which is making him sleepy and like drunk all the time. He's body is giving up but in his mind, he could still do things like he used to. He didn't want to go back to MD last Monday morning because he wanted to walk the river. He watches Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, blurts out answers with his eyes closed. He tried to put together the rubicks cube this afternoon and did 2 sides before giving up. Yesterday morning, he asked for fried apples and biscuits, ate a few bites, had some pancake in the afternoon which he kept it down. Jocelyn made him Filipino beef soup ,which he asked for, before she left but didn't eat it.

Barbie and Sissy are here with us, helping me take care of Dave. The whole family will be joining us this weekend.

Thank you all so much for your continued support, love and prayers. Kelly Duffy, one of my daycare parents, dropped by with blueberry muffins and chocolate cheese cake while we were at the hospital. The cheese cake with a cup of coffee has been a big help in keeping me awake!

Bill and Nancy, we got the coolerful of food that you left on the porch. Thank you so much!

Love,

Edith

5 Comments:

At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your and your family are in our thoughts.

Cook family

 
At 12:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You remain in our prayers. Kayla names each one of you up to God before going to bed each night.
Love,
The Bartons

 
At 8:30 AM , Blogger Caroline Stoufer said...

Edith-

I don't think I'm long behind Dave. I'm still going, but it seems like bits of me are going to hell everyday.

Dave and I are part of what I call
"the Class of 2005". At least that's about the time I found you on this website, and Dave has been a real inspiration to me, and you as well. I love the way Dave just kept doing the things he loved. I think that has kept he and I going.

Still hoping and praying for a miracle or a painless exit to the next life. You take care and I'm glad Jocelyn is there.

Sincerely, Caroline Stoufer

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger Mary Anne said...

Edith,
so sorry to hear things are coming to an end. Dave fought a good fight and enjoyed life fully. Hope the morphne works and your days are blessed and peaceful. We are praying for you. Joe and Mary Anne Coburn

 
At 5:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope that it is of some small comfort to you knowing that others are praying for Dave and his family. I check your blog site daily and think of you often. I tell my husband, Dirk, how everyone is doing that shares their story of cc and I just want you to know that he is inspired by your courage and feels a connection with everyone that has this cancer. May the Holy Spirit be especially close. Michelle Bailey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home